Charity Sector Support
A wide range of charitable organisations operate within Wokingham Borough to provide support for the homeless and for rough sleepers, including the following.
• “Just Around the Corner”, operating from Wokingham Baptist Church, “Provides emotional wellbeing and mentoring in 1:1 and group sessions using horses, small animals, horticulture, pottery and art. Is a first point of contact to the youth living within the Berkshire area to raise the awareness of alcohol, drug, substance misuse and general wellbeing through our street youth work, challenging anti-social attitudes.
• Launchpad, based in Reading and Woodley, is a food bank and a “Leading homelessness prevention charity, providing vital information and support for individuals, couples and families who don’t have a stable place to live or are at risk of losing their home”.
• The Salvation Army in Wokingham provides a rest room, cooked breakfast bar and a drop in centre. Does outreach work and, with Wokingham Baptist Church, is a significant WBC partner in this area.
• ElevateMe Wokingham “is the place for 16-19 year olds (up to 24 for those with an Education Health and Care Plan) to get help, advice, and guidance on all things careers “
• Street Link/St. Mungo’s is an on line and telephone reporting system that “aims to offer the public a means to act when they see someone sleeping rough, and is the first step someone can take to ensure rough sleepers are connected to the local services and support available to them”.
• The Cowshed, Sandford Lane, Winnersh “is a Christian charity that provides clothing, footwear, bedding, curtains and other items for individuals. The Cowshed prides itself on passing on items in great condition, washed and ironed ready to give to those referred to us. We work in partnership with support services such as GP’s, Health Visitors, Churches, Charities and Social Service agencies who provide us with referrals”